Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Nicholas has a dance with the Blue Nun...

Well here I am again. I'm back in the saddle again...It's 2:41am and I'm back on the keyboard letting my fingers do the dance of the millennium. I have my glass of Blue Nun, I have YOU to keep me company and I am happy as a turd. I wonder if turds are happy to be free or sad to be leaving....?

I did something today and I am not sure I like what I did or, if it was an appropriate thing to do. I hope I have some feedback on this because I need your help in deciding whether I did right or whether I totally screwed up.

I went to a site yesterday morning to buy some supplies from a vendor/designer who I have never bought from before. After my purchase I received the typical canned "thankyouverymuchforyourorder" message. Within that message was a bunch of apologetic statements from the vendor/designer about how crappy her photo's were, and that she was trying to be as professional as she can and that she was a "designer" and not a photographer, blah blah and finally, a plea for business. Odd, I thought.

I went to her site and poked around. Well, she was right, every picture I looked at (no kidding!) was blurry. She was right! Her photography sucked! But not only that, in the particular piece I was looking at had 2 spelling errors in the title alone and the description of the item was grammatically incorrect, so much so, that I had to read it several times in order to make sense out of it.

Now, here's the part where I have my trouble....let me ask you this, would YOU contact her in an attempt to alert her to the fact that there were spelling errors in the title? Well I did. I have done this type of thing before if I find a grossly misspelled word(s) or a math error, I have sent an FYI to the owner to let them know. Every time they have been appreciative, rightly so. If your fly was unzipped wouldn't YOU want to know about it? I am just the type of person that will discreetly let you know. (Where are the boundary lines for being "discreet"?)  I consider it a service to my fellow sister/brother.

So, yes, I contacted her. But for some reason I didn't stop at the spelling errors. I told her about the grammar problems and agreed with her that she was no photographer. Every other sentence was an apology from me and I inserted many offers of help if she needed it. And I asked the "Who am I to..and who do I think I am..." when in fact she had hundreds of sales and I have not counted 4. She must be doing something right... right?

I have been too afraid to look at my messages. I have not checked that area in my daily routine of checking all the possible hot spots going on in my life. Therefore I have no idea yet of how she reacted. I tell you I was sincerely humble in my comments almost to the point of being embarrassed. I hope that came across.

I have just made up my mind to look and see if she has written back and to read her rebuttal, if any, before I go back to bed and catch a few more winks because, I don't want to wait until daylight and have to carry the guilt around all day. If I can get some sleep in between, somehow it makes the whole thing a littler farther away and not so hauntingly close.

I feel sorry for her. I probably should not. I probably should feel sorry for me for being such an ass. Why did God give me this terrible trait? Why is it MY job to tell people that their fly's are down? I believe there is one in 50 people who are like this and I have to be one of them. Bummer. My big mouth has always been my pitfall.

You know what? I really had no intention of writing about this when I first sat down. Perhaps the Nun makes you blue...hmmmmm. So I ask, What would you have done? I need some feedback here folks! Help me out.

Moving along. I am going to try like hell to post a video on this blog that I put together last week for my shop. I know that it sounds easy, post a video, but I can't get the damn thing to insert into my email the way that I want it to. I want it to just be there on the email where you see the little TV and the "play" arrow. I couldn't figure that out. I did not want to have to post-a-link to it but that is what I ended up doing. Perhaps I could not get it to insert the way I wanted it to, had something to do with how it was made and with what product. I hope it was that and not my ignorance.

Anyway, I am going to post the link here:   http://www.photoshow.com/members/dbarrell/all
I hope you go there and from there, click on the little TV screen and play it. I think it came out marvelous! Just another advertising scheme.

Last week I also went through all my own jewelry pieces that I keep for my own wear. They were all ratty and worn and in desperate need of a "face lift". I basically remade them and used all sterling silver. Before I only had the ear wires in sterling as I am wicked allergic to cheap, inferior metals. (And "they" say I have "expensive" tastes...it's out of necessity, not want!) (What do "they" know anyway?) (And who ARE "they" anyway?)

I ended up making some pretty cool pieces. If you have an extensive inventory and a huge imagination, one can whip up a pair of earrings in about 6 minutes and 45 seconds! No Kidding! My next skill to tackle and conquer is wire wrapping. I can't figure it out! (again) "They" say once you know HOW to do it, it is pretty simple. Well, I can't imagine it. I think I have wasted 2 feet of expensive sterling silver 24 gauge wire just fooling around and trying! (gotta stop doing that!).

I just need to find the time and take a formal lesson. And I should do that just as I need to renew my CPR certifications. Which reminds me....I need to find a place where I can do that cheap. Since I work for myself I can not rely on my employer to provide the means. Another part of running a business that sucks.

Gawd, (I think that's cleaner than "God", it's also more "NewEnglandy") another blog without pictures...what do you all think? Can you read a blog with no pictures? Is it sort of like reading the comics page without the pictures, are they still funny? I hope so.

Going to close now and take a deep breath, cough, cough some more, and go and read my fated replies. I hope to remember to tell you how it all came out. (Another of the things that "they" say is...) things have a way of working out for the good, don't they? Let's hope so.....


No comments:

Post a Comment